The League provides numerous services and benefits to its member municipalities and their officials as they look to address challenges facing cities in the 21st century. Whether you are a staff member looking for advice on a legal inquiry or are an elected city official looking for information on a legislative issue, the League is here to make your job easier. Benefits of membership with the League include:
- Legislative Advocacy – The League advocates on our membership’s behalf to sponsor and encourage beneficial legislation for cities and oppose legislation that would be detrimental to our membership’s interest. The League has legislative staff dedicated to serve you in the statehouse.
- Legal Aid – As a member city, any city official or employee can contact the League with a legal inquiry or question at their convenience. Additionally, the legal staff provides sample ordinances and guidance on legislation and rulemakings from both the state and federal levels.
- Municipal Training Institute – Designed for both elected and appointed city officials, the MTI is a member-only continuing education program that enhances the leadership abilities of those serving Kansas cities.
- Contract Services – The League offers members a discounted rate to have the League engage in contract services, which include: codification services, executive personnel search program (LEAPS), job descriptions for employees, and personnel policies.
- Publications – The League publishes numerous helpful documents throughout the course of the year offered at a free or discounted price for members specific to Finance and Budgeting, Tax Rates and Fiscal Data, Governance, Legal, Personnel, and Planning and Land Use.
- Research and Surveys – On an bi-annual basis, the League publishes salary and municipal revenue surveys available for members. Additionally, periodical research is performed to collect fiscal, economic, electoral, and a myriad of other data. Much of this data is available to members at no cost.
- Annual Conferences and Events – The League provides reduced member rates for annual conferences, trainings, and to provide quality instruction, education and guidance on city governance.
These are just a few of the benefits the League offers its’ membership! For more information on your city becoming a member or retaining membership, please contact the League’s office at 785-354-9565.